Articles, Research, and Other Books Published
Articles of Donnie’s family story have opened eyes and hearts.
The Winokur Family was featured in The New York Times Magazine on February 5, 2012. This lead story was one of the top ten articles in The New York Times globally for the year of 2012. Their journey of adoption, disability and their son’s service dog was also profiled in the May 2012 issue of Reader’s Digest Canada, Readers Digest India (September 2012), Marie Claire Australia, (May 2012), XL Seminal (Spain 2012) and was the feature in the September 2012 Guide Post magazine.
- Industry Article: Yvonne W. Fry-Johnson, MD, MSCR, Suzanne Powell, MPH and Donnie Winokur (2014) “Service dogs: Taking the ‘dis” out of disabilities in children with intellectual or behavioral “disabilities” prepared for special edition of the International Journal Child and Adolescent Health “Environmental Health: the home, the school and the community” special edition – Nova Science Publishers, Inc.: 2009 and 2014
- “A Dog’s Devotion Brings Healing”, Guideposts Magazine, September 2012, Donnie Winokur
- “ADOPTION + DISABILITY = WONDER DOG: The story of my son’s service dog, Chancer, and how his message is being barked around the world”, Adoption Today Magazine, October 2012, Donnie Winokur
- Mom’s Choice Entro Magazine Spring 2012, “Building Bridges to Success for children Living with Invisible Disorders” Donnie Winokur and Jodee Kulp
- Children’s book author, Donnie Winokur, illustrator, Jodee Kulp, Nuzzle –love between a boy and his service dog; Better Endings – New Beginnings, released November, 2011
- “Finding Faith in Fur and Four Paws for my son with FASD, Living with FASD, Spring 2010, pp.13-16 FASD Support Network of Saskatchewan, Donnie Winokur
- “FASD: Growing into not out of a lifelong disability”, Adoption Today Magazine, July 2010, pp.16-19, Donnie Winokur
- Adult book author, Donnie Winokur, CHANCER – How One Good Boy Saved Another, A Memoir, Grand Harbor Press/Amazon Publishing, Published August 22, 2017
Chancer is also featured in:
“The Underdogs: Children, Dogs, and the Power of Unconditional Love” by Melissa Fay Greene two-time National Book Award nominee a profound and surprising account of dogs on the front lines of rescuing both children and adults from the trenches of grief, emotional, physical, and cognitive disability, and post-traumatic stress disorder. Chapter 18 features Chancer and Iyal’s story and we are delighted to be a part of this wonderful book.
Listen to Interview with Melissa Fay Greene
Learn more about The Underdogs: Children, Dogs, and the Power of Unconditional Love
“Devoted: 38 Extraordinary Tales of Love, Loyalty, and Life With Dogs” By Rebecca Ascher-Walsh. Unlikely Friendships meets Marley and Me. In this heartwarming gift book, author Rebecca Ascher-Walsh presents a collection of inspiring dog stories and touching photos–dogs who comfort veterans, dogs who learn to surf, dogs who detect cancer, and dogs who save the day: Each one is devoted. These 38 uplifting dog stories showcase the most amazing dog rescues, accomplishments, and abilities that fascinate us and touch our hearts. One of these stories is about our family and Chancer.
Read more at http://www.thechancerchronicles.com/index.html#ZgPAH2AOUXTAYOsD.99